|BEEF||PORK||LAMB||POULTRY||FISH||EGGS||PIES & CAKES||VEGETARIAN||ETHNIC||SUBMIT YOUR RECIPE HERE|
|SLOW COOKER||JAMS||BARBECUE||GAZPACHO||PAELLA||TAPAS||VIDEO RECIPES||LATEST MEMBER RECIPES|
Estimated Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Estimated Cooking Time: 3 hours 45 minutes
Servings: 4 bowls of soup
Non-standard Cooking Utensils: A large pan
900 g (2 lbs) shin of beef or similar cut - chopped into cubes
1.2 litres (2.2 pints) of water
280 ml (½ pint) low strength beer
1 onion - peeled and chopped
1 carrot - peeled and chopped
½ turnip - peeled and chopped
4 sticks celery - chopped
55 g (2 oz) butter (more if thicker soup is wanted)
55 g (2 oz) plain flour (more if thicker soup is wanted)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Simmer the meat, beer and water in a pan for 10 minutes
2. Turn down the heat and skim off any fat from the surface of the soup
3. Add the vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 3½ hours until the meat is tender
4. Just before the soup is cooked, melt the butter in a pan over a low to medium heat. Slowly add the flour stirring all the time. This mixture is called "roux" and will thicken the soup. You can use more or less roux depending on how thick you prefer the soup.
5. Slowly add roughly one pint of the soup into the roux, stirring all the time until the mixture is smooth.
6. Add the roux mixture back to the main soup stirring all the time.
7. Simmer for 5 minutes then serve in warm soup bowls accompanied by bread or a side plate of vegetables.
BACK TO MRS BEETON'S SOUP INDEX PAGE