|BEEF||PORK||LAMB||POULTRY||FISH||EGGS||PIES & CAKES||VEGETARIAN||ETHNIC||SUBMIT YOUR RECIPE HERE|
|SLOW COOKER||JAMS||BARBECUE||GAZPACHO||PAELLA||TAPAS||VIDEO RECIPES||LATEST MEMBER RECIPES|
Estimated Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Estimated Cooking Time: 5 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 1.2 litres (2 pint) stock, enough for 4 bowls of soup
Non-standard Cooking Utensils: A large frying pan or other pan
½ kilo (1 lb) of shin of beef
50 g (2 oz) butter
1 small onion
1 small carrot
¼ head of celery
2 chopped mushrooms
a bunch of savoury herbs
1 blade of mace
1.2 litres (2 pints) of water.
Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Line a large frying pan with the butter.
2. Cut up any large ingredients and place all ingredients in the pan
3. Cook on a medium heat until the meat is browned, stir frequently.
4. Turn the heat to low and pour in the cold water. Cook for 15 minutes. Skim fat off well.
5. Simmer very slowly for 5 hours. Do not let it come to a brisk boil, that the stock be not wasted, and that its colour may be preserved. Remove any fat from the surface regularly
6. Strain through a sieve.
This is the basis of many of the soups mentioned in these pages and will be found quite strong enough for ordinary purposes.
BACK TO MRS BEETON'S SOUP INDEX PAGE