|BEEF||PORK||LAMB||POULTRY||FISH||EGGS||PIES & CAKES||VEGETARIAN||ETHNIC||SUBMIT YOUR RECIPE HERE|
|SLOW COOKER||JAMS||BARBECUE||GAZPACHO||PAELLA||TAPAS||VIDEO RECIPES||LATEST MEMBER RECIPES|
Note: The rule is, that all clear soups should be of a light straw colour, and should not savour too strongly of the meat; and that all white or brown thick soups should have no more consistency than will enable them to adhere slightly to the spoon when hot. All purées should be somewhat thicker.
Estimated Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Estimated Cooking Time: 20 mins
Servings: 1.2 litres (2 pints) stock, enough for 4 bowls of soup
Non-standard Cooking Utensils: A large pan
150 ml (¼ pint) water
The stock to be clarified (per 1.2 litres (2 pints))
1. Heat the stock to be clarified until it is boiling
2. Take the white of 1 egg, carefully separated from the yolk
2. Whisk well together with the 150 ml water
3. Add gradually the 1.2 litres (2 pints) of boiling stock, still whisking.
4. Continue whisking on a medium heat until nearly boiling again
5. Remove from the heat and let it settle until the whites of the eggs become separated.
5. Pass through a fine cloth or sieve and the soup should be clear.
BACK TO MRS BEETON'S SOUP INDEX PAGE