|BEEF||PORK||LAMB||POULTRY||FISH||EGGS||PIES & CAKES||VEGETARIAN||ETHNIC||SUBMIT YOUR RECIPE HERE|
|SLOW COOKER||JAMS||BARBECUE||GAZPACHO||PAELLA||TAPAS||VIDEO RECIPES||LATEST MEMBER RECIPES|
Estimated Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Estimated Cooking Time: 1 hr
Servings: 4 bowls of soup
Non-standard Cooking Utensils: A large pan.
1 slice of lean bacon or ham
1 stalk of celery
20 g (¾ oz) butter
450 g (1 lb) Jerusalem artichokes
150 ml (¼ pint) of boiling milk
½ teaspoon of sugar
550 ml (1 pint) of white stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt the butter in a frying pan
2. Cut the bacon or ham into thin slices and place in the frying pan. Add the onions, turnip and celery.
3. Cook on a low heat for 15 minutes stirring frequently.
4. Wash and peel the artichokes, slice thinly and add them to the other ingredients in the pan. Add half the stock to the pan.
5. Cook on a low heat for 30 minutes stirring frequently, breaking down the artichokes to a pulp.
6. Add the remainder of the stock, add the salt and pepper and cook for a further 5 minutes.
7. Pass the mixture through a sieve. Heat the liquid to a slow boil, slowly adding the milk and stirring constantly.
8. Serve with croutons or French bread.
BACK TO MRS BEETON'S SOUP INDEX PAGE